The Barcelona Gothic Quarter Tour
See the historic city center of Barcelona with a professional guide
The Gothic Quarter (in Spanish: Barrio Gótico) in Barcelona is one of the best preserved medieval areas in Europe. The Gothic Quarter is packed with history, interesting details, nice plazas, beautiful churches and cozy streets.
The density of imposing buildings scattered around the narrow streets of the medieval city core bear witnesses to a rich history from a time when Barcelona was a super power in the Mediterranean together with cities like Venice and Genova. It was here the famous Inquisition spread fear and that Columbus was received by the Catholic Kings when he came back to Spain after discovering America.
The Barcelona Gothic Quarter Tour takes you through the most important sights of the Gothic Quarter in Barcelona, from the Cathedral of Barcelona (La Seu), the cobbled streets of the Born area, the narrow streets of the old Jewish Quarter (the Call) to the Roman ruins.
What do you see on the Gothic Quarter Tour?
The itinerary below is our suggestion for the Gothic Quarter Tour. However, if you are interested in a customized tour we can tailor an itinerary for you. Below you will find a list of some of the many interesting monuments, plazas
and streets you will see in the gothic :
- The Ramblas (probably the most famous street in Spain)
- Boquería (also called Marcat Sant Josep, one of the best markets in Europe)
- The Liceu Opera (made famous by José Carreras and Montserrat Caballé)
- Antoni Gaudí's Palau Güell (an early masterpiece)
- Santa María del Pí (The third great gothic church in Barcelona)
- Plaça Sant Felip Neri (remains from the civil war)
- Plaça Reial (one of the most beautiful plazas in Barcelona.
- The Jewish quarter (important area in the Middle ages)
- Plaça Sant Jaume (with the town hall and Generalitat)
- The Cathedral of Barcelona (where the local saint Santa Eulalia is buried)
- The Temple of Augustus (Roman temple from 15 BC)
- The Aragonese Archive (the second biggest medieval archive in Europe)
- Plaça del Rei (here Columbus was welcomed back after his first trip to America).
- Pati Llimona (ruins from the Roman city Barcino)
- Santa María del Mar (The Cathedral of the Sea decribed in ildefonso Falcones' novel with the same name)
- Wine and food specialty shops in Borne (the quarter has some of Barcelona's best specialty shops)
- Montcada and the Picasso Museum (part of Barcelona's medieval heritage)
- The Roman Walls (and remains of the Roman Aqueduct)
Details & prices for the Barcelona Gothic Quarter Tour
The tour can be arranged for groups of between 8 and 100 people. If you are more than 40 people we recommend to divide the group in two and book two simultaneous tours.
The duration of the Gothic Quarter Tour
Prices of the Walking Tour
per person for a private guided Walking Tour in Barcelona with a certified English speaking guide. The tour is only organized for private groups, and the prices depend on the number of participants in your group. .
Recommendations for the tour
The Barcelona Gothic Quarter Tour is perfect for private groups, groups of friends and companies who want to get to know the culture, history and gastronomy of Barcelona. The tour can be combined with with the Comprehensive Barcelona City Tour to make it a full day tour.